What is MLGame?
MLGame is a library designed to help developers create 2d games by providing a high level interface for graphics, network, etc. It is everything that programmers want when they begin writing a game. It helped us win the ICFP 2003 Lightning contest. It is fully functional.
- Sprites with collision (per pixel or per rect)
- Contexts (parts of screen may display parts of world)
- Network (high level protocol with callbacks)
- Console and Menu (based on a parser with variables, aliases, ...)
- Binding keys to game actions
MLGame should work under any platform where OCamlSDL works. It has been tested only under Linux, Windows/MSVC++, OpenBSD, BeOS, Solaris and Cygwin. "./configure; make" should work everywhere (except MSVC++ which is more complicated).
MLGame is written in OCaml. OCaml is a strongly-typed functional programming language. Functional programming is becoming more and more popular, because it offers almost bug free writing.
- Safety (due to automatic type calculating, see this)
- Convinience (automatic garbage collection)
- Efficiency better then most decent programming languages
MLGame is released on GNU GPL.